Advancements in skincare are happening at such an amazing pace that a simple Google search on wrinkle removal throws up an abundance of options. The most common of these search results include BOTOX and the much more recent micro needling. So how do you decide on which treatment will work best for you? This article hopes to make your decision easier. Of course it would be best to talk to your physician before you make a decision.
Let us start with BOTOX.
HOW does BOTOX work?
BOTOX is the commercial name given to Botulinum toxin which is injected in an extremely small concentration directly into the muscle. Contraction of the muscles happen when the nerve cells send a signal to them to contract. The injected Botulinum toxin works by suppressing this signal. As a result, contraction of the muscle is prevented.
What is BOTOX effective for?
- If you are looking at treatments for moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines, BOTOX would be worth looking into.
- It is used for dynamic wrinkles caused by repeated expressions.
- This can be used for acne scars only when muscle contractions pull on the scar. It works by easing the stress on the scar tissue, thus making it less visible.
- For vertical lip lines, BOTOX is not very effective.
What is the duration for BOTOX to take effect?
Treatment with BOTOX usually takes 24-72 hours to take effect. Rarely it might take up to 5 days for the effect to become visible.
How long does the BOTOX effect last?
The effect of BOTOX can be seen up to a period of 3-6 months.
It is important to note that BOTOX should not be given to pregnant or lactating women or for those who have had a previous allergic reaction to the drug or its ingredients.
Now let us move onto micro needling
How does micro needling work?
Micro needling or collagen induction therapy or skin needling works by causing micro injuries on the skin. When micro injuries are caused, the natural healing mechanism of the body kicks in. Collagen is produced by the body which helps in smoothening out the fine lines and wrinkles.
What is micro needling effective for?
- Micro needling works well to remove vertical lip lines on the upper and lower lip.
- It helps with superficial small scars.
- It is also used to smoothen stretch marks in the stomach and thighs.
- It is very effective in the treatment of acne scars for the age group of 22 years and above.
- It rejuvenates skin as it stimulates production of healthy new cells thereby resulting in a smoother and more radiant skin.
- Micro needling can also access hard to reach areas like those around the nose.
What is the duration for micro needling to take effect?
The effect of micro needling is visible almost immediately. Best results will be felt 4-6 weeks after the procedure. The results will last for up to 6 months after the treatment.
Micro needling should not be done for pregnant women as the production of collagen requires vitamins and nutrients that would otherwise be reserved for the unborn child.
Micro needling kits for home use are available but their effectiveness is not as intense as it is, when done under professional guidance. It is not advisable to use micro needling for active acne as it might lead to an acne breakout.