Sunken cheeks are an affliction that people have to deal with as they get older. This happens due to the skin losing its elasticity as well as fat with age. But ageing is not the only cause of sunken cheeks. It can also be the result of rapid weight loss, certain life-threatening diseases like cancer and can sometimes even be genetic. Most of the time, the causes are ageing and extreme dieting which result in sunken cheeks. Hollow cheeks tend to give people a haggard appearance, making them look much older than what they actually are.
Benefits of Voluma:
The good news, however, is the availability of non-surgical treatment for sunken cheeks. Juvederm Voluma is one such option. Voluma has been approved by the FDA and is meant specifically for restoring volume to the cheeks. Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is the filler of choice which is injected into the cheek area. The usage of HA serves a double purpose; HA retains moisture and stimulates the production of collagen as well. Aside from these two benefits is the fact that HA is produced by the skin itself. Hence when introduced as a filler, the body does not fight against it.
|Image Courtesy: Pixabay|
Benefits of Voluma:
- Voluma in addition to filling up sunken cheeks also adds contour to the face, giving the face a sculpted and a younger appearance.
- Voluma lasts for nearly 2 years while other fillers last for a shorter duration. More sessions for Voluma injections can also be scheduled based on individual expectations. Subsequent sessions will require a lesser quantity of filler to be injected.
- A topical anaesthetic cream is usually applied before any filler injection is administered but Voluma has the advantage of being injected well below the surface of the skin where the nerve endings are comparatively lesser. As a result, not only is the pain further reduced but the possibility of bruising or discolouration is also low.
- Voluma offers short treatment time with almost immediate results. The procedure can be completed within 30 minutes and normal activity can be resumed in a day. Side effects if any, usually settle down in a week.
- If at all the patient is unhappy with the results after Voluma, the process can be reversed. Hyaluronidase can be used to break down the HA thereby reversing the process.
- Doctors find Voluma easy to work with as it is pliable and smooth.
However, as is the case with any procedure, the skill of the doctor is paramount. The best result would be a natural-looking one and to achieve this, the doctor has to be proficient in knowing the quantity of filler to be administered.
On the whole, though patients and doctors are happy with the results obtained with Voluma, it would indeed be most advisable to have a thorough discussion with your doctor before going in for it.